Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fonder?

Does absence makes the heart grow fonder? It depends.

For example, I've never longed for personal-type medical procedures (you women over 40 know what I mean, and everyone over 50 REALLY knows what I mean!), regardless of how long it has been since the last time. On the other hand, by the time Christmas rolls around, I can hardly contain my excitement about eggnog (what?), carols, and all the other trappings. I could live another lifetime without returning to Texas, yet I am practically heartsick for seeing the Pacific Northwest again.

But where the old saw is truly validated is in the life of a grandma. I haven't seen my sweet little granddaughter and her handsome brother in a week. (The Big Guy was sick over the weekend, so we wisely stayed away from them.)

I know that Roscoe has gotten smarter and cuter in just 7 days. And Wolverine will be so different from my last visit in the hospital, only one week ago, that I may not recognize her. I miss them terribly.

So I can say, without hesitation, that absence does, indeed, make the heart grow fonder, when the subject is grandkids.

No comments:

Post a Comment